People come to casinos looking for a thrill, looking forward to big winnings, and wanting to go home a winner. Whether it’s roulette, baccarat or poker, we’ve been there! Trust us: If you want a true challenge, play video slots. You may say that the casino always wins in this area (and you’ll be right in some respects), but that shouldn’t stop you, and we’ll tell you why.
This guide is written specifically for newcomers to the world of slot games. You’ll find all the basic information in it, from what paylines are to the concept of volatility in slot machines. But don’t be lazy to read this article, even if you think you know everything about slots: you’re bound to find something new in it.
Slots – our everything! You have to beat not another player, but us, that is, the casino. No bluffing, no fear – just pure risk and excitement. There are a huge variety of slot games to choose from, so you’ll easily find something to your liking.
As with all games, the key to success in casinos is a solid understanding of the rules and mechanics of the game. First, let’s understand the concept of paylines. Payline is the line on the reels, which forms the winning combinations.
In classic slot machines it was a line of three identical symbols, which had to appear strictly in the center of the reels. However, with the development of video slots paylines became more and more sophisticated. Now they are not only horizontal, but also vertical, diagonal, zigzag – it all depends on the specific slot game and the number of paylines in it.
First you need to decide on how many lines you want to play. While in simple slot machines you can still find only one payline, in modern slots their number can even go up to several hundred.
The aim of the game is to collect three or more of the same symbols on the same line. Your winnings depend on the specific symbols as well as the size of the bet.
GAME FEATURES PRIZE TABLE
Before you start the game, you should read the payout table. This will tell you how much you can expect to win for a particular combination of symbols, and how much you’ll win depends on how much you stake.
If you ignore the payout table, you won’t know what the maximum winnings are and what jackpots are available. So if you want to hit the jackpot, it is strongly advised to learn how to do it first.
If you’re going to play video slots, you need to understand the main types of game symbols that can be found in the game:
- Wild symbols: they replace the standard symbols that are missing for a winning combination. For example, if there are four identical symbols and one Wild symbol on the line, the latter will let you win for a line of five such symbols. In addition, the more Wild symbols will appear on the reels, the bigger will be the additional reward.
- Expanding Wilds: These Wilds have the same function as the regular Wilds. The difference is that they can “expand” the entire reel, replacing all the other symbols, and thus create a completely incredible combination that can bring huge winnings!
- Stacked Wilds: Similar to expanding Wilds but with the difference that they are stacked symbols. They are usually located on several cells of the reel in a row. They can occupy the entire reel, or only its lower or upper part. Like any other Wild, can bring good income.
- Scatter symbols are not as common. Can activate additional bonus rounds and bonus games. In addition, these are the only symbols that cannot replace Wild.
Launched after the reels rolled several Scatter symbols or a combination of symbols. This is either a Free Spins round or a Bonus Game where you have to randomly choose from a number of entries to hide different rewards. A great opportunity to win big!
THEORETICAL PLAYER RETURN
Theoretical Player Income (Return To Player Rate or RTP) is the most important metric in video slots. It tells how much a player can get back from his bets. The higher this indicator, the greater the chance of winning.
For example, if a slot’s RTP is 70%, you can expect to get seven euros back from your ten bets of one euro.
You need to have a good understanding of what the bet level is if you want to play slot games successfully.
The bet level shows how many coins are placed on each line. The higher its value, the bigger not only your bet, but also the possible winnings. So, if you like to take risks, choose a higher level. All the more what excitement without a little risk!
VOLATILITY IN SLOT GAMES
Volatility determines the ratio of the frequency of winnings to its amount. Do not confuse this concept with the theoretical income of the player. Slots with low volatility are characterized by frequent winnings, but with small payouts, rarely exceeding the bet size. Such games are good for beginners.
For risky players, there are slots with high volatility, which are characterized by rare, but significant winnings.
Which video slot to choose? You can lose or hit the jackpot – no one knows the answer. But that’s what gambling is all about!
- Before you start playing your new video slot be sure to understand the possible paylines here.
- Then familiarize yourself with the payout table. If you came to win, know how to do it!
- Keep a close eye on the Wild symbols, as they can replace any other symbol on the reels.
- Video slots with low volatility have frequent small winnings, those with high volatility have huge winnings, but the odds are much lower.
- Play wisely. If you want to hit the jackpot, stay in the game as long as possible.
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT SLOT MACHINES
- The first slot machine appeared in New York in 1891.
- In 1895, Charles Fye invented Liberty Bell, the first slot with a simple automatic payout mechanism.
- Japan has more slot machines than any other country in the world. And a slot game called Pachinko has been insanely popular among locals for years.
- There are believed to be about 8 people per slot machine in Las Vegas, which is an all-time record for the number of slots per capita.
- Slots make up about 50% of all casino games in the world. Guess why!
- Slots make up about 85% of the average casino’s total revenue – here’s why.
- The largest slot machine ever made was called the Super Big Bertha and was 2.5 meters tall and 2 meters wide.
- Slot machines are sometimes called “one-armed bandits.” Interestingly, the original so called people who themselves tried to cheat the slot machines in the early years of their existence. However, over time, the name was transferred to slots.